Five Reasons to Migrate From Joomla to WordPress
Posted on 20.01.2017
As industry professionals who have experience with a variety of different content management systems (CMSs), we’re often asked which content management system we prefer. The present answer is WordPress. It has the power and flexibility to satisfy your unique business needs and is simpler to manage and maintain than its competitors. WordPress allows you to easily update your content because it does not require technical skills or an understanding of complex code.
If you want the best platform for your website, using the most up-to-date technology, here are five reasons why your business should consider switching from Joomla to WordPress:
1. Easy to Use Back-end
- The WordPress admin is easy to navigate and highly customizable, allowing you to organize and manage your content with ease.
- The process of writing and posting content in WordPress is also a much nicer experience than Joomla. It’s as simple as logging in, creating a new post, and clicking “publish.”
2. More Features and Functions
- Because of the popularity of WordPress, if you require more functionality, there is a wide variety of plugins available to choose from.
- WordPress’ plugin library is currently sitting at 48,477, whereas Joomla’s extension library is only at 7,861. So, the likelihood of you requesting a feature and it being available already is much higher for WordPress — often more than one option to choose from.
3. Ease of Development
- WordPress is the most trusted CMS worldwide and is used on over 50% of CMS-based websites, while Joomla is only used on about 10%. This gives developers the best tools available when working on your site.
- If you love the look of your current site, that’s no problem. Once migrated, it can easily be recreated in WordPress. Otherwise, there are 1000s of themes available that can give your site a fresh, modern look.
- When extension developers are not updating their products regularly, they fail to remain compatible with newer versions of the platform, and it opens the door for potential security vulnerabilities.
- WordPress makes it easy for its developers to update their plugins, which in turn makes it easier for the sites that use those plugins to stay secure.
- WordPress also makes it easy for site administrators to update the core WordPress software and all of the plugins with a single click.
5. Risk Mitigation
- As a business owner, you need to make decisions about which suppliers you want providing service to your business. WordPress is the most popular CMS. So, it will be much easier for you than with Joomla to find a new web agency or developer should your current relationship terminate.
Migrating Platforms: Common Concerns
When migrating a website from one open source platform to another, you may be concerned about downtime and content retention. Yardstick has completed many migrations, and has the experience to ensure it’s done right. We have a proven process for migrating content from Joomla to WordPress safely and accurately, while putting an emphasis on protecting the information you entrust to us.
We will migrate your Joomla website to WordPress on a development server. Your current site will remain live until the migration is complete, avoiding any downtime. All of your website’s data will be skillfully migrated including users, content, media, and extensions/plugins. If there are any Joomla-only extensions that can’t be used on WordPress, we’ll replace that functionality with industry-leading alternatives.
If you are considering migrating from Joomla to WordPress or any other platform, including straight HTML to WordPress, we want to talk to you. If you have any questions or are looking for support, please feel free to comment below, send an email or give us a call: 604.474.3631.