UI/UX Website Designer
WARNING: You’re gonna love it here
Are YOU the Website Designer for us?
Four leaf clovers, airline seat legroom, a timely cable guy: they’re tough to find. We feel the same about our search for you — but we know you’re out there. If you’ve got what it takes, show us what is possible — rock our world with your talent, experience, and passion for design.
Snapshot of your wannabe job
At Yardstick, our Website Designer is responsible for designing website user interfaces (UI) and user experiences (UX) that will wow our clients and their target customers. Reporting to our Project Manager, you will be tasked with following our pre-existing process for creating designs in Sketch that get handed off to the development team via Zeplin. We need creative people with experience in UI/UX that can gel with our existing team and processes.
Our ideal Website Designer has a strong base of creative skills as well as experience designing high-quality page layouts for websites. We also need someone with the patience and professionalism to be able to listen to clients’ feedback and provide revisions within a reasonable timeframe. The design process is fun but also can involve many stakeholders. Our Project Manager is responsible for managing the stakeholder and keeping the project on track within a given timeline. We need a designer that we can rely on to meet agreed deadlines and help support our PM so that our clients have a great experience working with us.
This role is part time and will be picking up overflow work depending on the capacity of our existing design resources. This role may also involve designing ads and landing pages for digital campaigns and other smaller projects.
We have a remote team. So, you must also possess a high-degree of emotional intelligence and self-discipline. You need to be able to manage your time appropriately in order to hit deadlines. And you must be able to communicate professionally with other Yardstick team members including developers, copywriters, seo specialists, ad specialists and more.
What you’ll do (In a nutshell)
- Reading through and digesting initial client input and project goals
- Participating in project orientation and launch meetings (via video calls)
- Reviewing all provided content and assets for the project
- Design page layouts using Sketch for the homepage and sub-pages of websites based on assets and information provided by the client to our PM
- Designing landing pages, ads and other digital marketing assets
- Occasionally designing or freshening up old logos (note, we do not do branding)
- Occasionally designing print collateral such as business cards, signs, direct mail
- Using InVision with our PM to post designs for clients to provide feedback
- Participating in client meetings (via video calls) to listen to feedback/input
- Revising designs based on client feedback/input
- Posting finalized designs to Zeplin
- Saving all drafts and finalized designs to our company Google Drive
Stuff you’ve done
- Experience designing websites using modern design standards
- Experience designing online ads in formats required for Google, Facebook, etc
- Experience designing landing pages for conversion of web traffic into sales/leads
- Experience using project management and time tracking software to log hours to tasks
- Knowledge of web design best practices in terms of colour usage, imagery, layout, menus, calls to action, etc.
- Residency in the Lower Mainland of British Columbia (local talent will be interviewed before we consider people located elsewhere)
- Fluent in English both written and spoken
- Your own PC or Mac with a webcam and mic (for video calls)
- A high degree of emotional intelligence
- The ability to work from home and manage your own hours to meet deadlines
Nice to have
- Familiar with Sketch – design toolkit
- Familiar with InVision – design, workflow & collaboration
- Familiar with Zeplin – designs handoff and styleguides
- Ability to design or touch-up company logos is an asset.
- Understanding of web development (WordPress, php, css, etc) is an asset
- Understanding of digital marketing strategy and tactics is an asset
- Any additional courses or training related to UI/UX or web design
Who you are
Ultimately, you’re a great fit for us if you enjoy a good work-life balance. We love what we do, and we love our life outside of Yardstick, too, making time for family and friends, plus personal interests that fuel our mind and spirit.
We bet you play nice with others, which is important to us because you’ll be working collaboratively with our dynamic and very friendly team of innovative and agile professionals. You’re not afraid to contribute your ideas and you’re motivated to think outside the box — equally, you’re just as eager to learn from others and accept constructive feedback.
A bit about us
At our core, we’re a full-service boutique web design and digital marketing agency, serving clients in Metro Vancouver, Alberta and other areas of Canada and the US. We’re ready at a moment’s notice to roll up our sleeves and create aesthetically dynamic and results-driven websites that produce digital growth for small and medium-size businesses.
At Yardstick, we pride ourselves on trust and integrity. We value teamwork and hard work and we take our work seriously, but we don’t take ourselves too seriously. We know when it’s time to relax and have fun, something we do exceptionally well with a craft beer or a nice wine at our quarterly team-building events.
We’re a remote team of talented minds who share a passion for creating digital experiences and the pursuit of innovative and measurable web solutions. We embrace the fluidity of the industry and will continue to be relevant while we adapt and evolve quickly and decisively to its changing conditions. We’re a growing company and we welcome you to grow with us.
Interviews are underway so apply now! Send your resume and cover letter (hint: we love to hear real stories about past projects, so this is no time for humility). [email protected].